Providing critical financial and accounting support to municipalities to help achieve their specific goals and objectives has been a key practice area of Melanson Heath for over 30 years.
The Firm’s continued success and growth in the municipal and governmental services area is a direct result of our core philosophy, which seeks to consistently meet and exceed our client’s expectations. Our Governmental Services team prides itself in delivering:
- A high level of shareholder participation and supervision in all audits.
- Consistent officer and staff availability to our clients throughout the year.
- Technical expertise unsurpassed in the industry.
- A highly experienced staff that thoroughly understands the uniqueness of governmental and municipal accounting and auditing.
- Procedures that guarantee quality audit services delivered in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Quality recommendations and training to our clients to simplify and improve their accounting records and internal controls.
- Timely service and minimal disruption to a client’s staff.
- Internal quality control steps to ensure a work product of the highest quality and accuracy.
Our focus on these goals is unwavering and has directly resulted in our current leadership role in the municipal arena. Melanson Heath provides services for more New England municipalities and governmental agencies than any other CPA firm in our region.
Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFR)
Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports are submitted by municipalities for review by the National Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA). If accepted, the report represents the highest form of recognition in governmental financial reporting. CAFRs include combining schedules, ten-year trend data and key demographic data on communities and may be viewed favorably by Bond rating agencies. Under the leadership of shareholder Scott McIntire, Melanson Heath has been preparing CAFRs for over 20 years for our municipal clients. As a member of the GFOA review team, Scott has gained significant insight into the requirements and potential pitfalls of the CAFR preparation and review process.
Certain organizations, whether they are Governmental, Not-for-Profit, or For Profit, may require a Single Audit under the guidelines of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-133 – the determining factor being the organization’s level of federal dollars spent. These audits not only examine an organization’s overall financial statement, but also include detail tests of costs charged to federal grant programs and program requirements mandated by the government.
The professionals at Melanson Heath will help you prepare and file this and all other vital forms necessary for continued eligibility as a government vendor or grant recipient.
Uniform Municipal Accounting System (UMAS) Training Courses
At Melanson Heath we take pride in not only continuing our own professional development, but that of our clients as well. Our Municipal Services team provides regular training and information seminars for municipal employees and officials on various topics of interest. Some topics for which we provide training include:
- Fund structure and common classifications
- Chart of accounts structure and analysis of accounts
- Accounting systems
- Preparing and recording the budget
- Recording transactions
- Closing the books at year-end
- Preparing annual financial reports
- Establishing sound internal controls
- Statutory responsibilities
For over 20 years, we have proudly offered a formal thirty-hour course on the Uniform Municipal Accounting System (UMAS). The UMAS course is updated annually to include current GASB pronouncements and statute changes. All course participants receive a copy of a comprehensive training manual that Melanson Heath has prepared. For more information on our annual Municipal Accounting Course, please call our Andover office at 978-749-0005.